Saturday, February 20, 2010

HOW BLOGGING CAN CHANGE THE WORLD

                                                  

I was wondering how I can share my thoughts online. But it was too scary for me. You see, I’m the type of person who wants to keep things private. There were lots of things going through my mind like, would someone even care to read it?

Im a Mass Communication graduate. In school, I used to write different plays or skits. I was so creative at that time. But when I started working, I was only able to use it for like 6 months when I’ve become an editorial assistant. After that, I switched to a different field. I’ve been exposed to Sales for more than 8 years.

When I came across this competition, i saw it in www.wheninmanila.com and read more blog on www.OurAwesomePlanet.com , it drove my curiosity. I’ve just started blogging but have read numerous blogs online. Would I even stand a chance over bloggers who’ve done this for years?

I love food. So it’s my most popular search on the web. Whenever I hear about a certain restaurant, I would immediately search for it online and look for blogs to check if the menu and service gets my money’s worth. It would also help me get the easiest directions since I’ll just be commuting from QC. And as I sat down on the restaurant’s cozy sofa, I would recall what bloggers would recommend to newbies like me to order and the taste and budget would consistently be right on target.

I do remember one time when I thought no one else understood me, I just sat down in front of my laptop, venting out thru my stat messages in my FB account. When I remembered that, in previous years, the best thing to calm my nerves would be to read a book. But as I searched my room, no book was to be found. So I Googled into finding something to read and I came across several inspirational blogs. Some were stories of survival, some shared their favorite quotes or heroes and how they have lived their lives with those in mind. Some reminisced funny and memorable experiences that’s diversified from various situations.

That’s when it occurred to me that blogs weren’t as meaningless as I thought them to be. They can take me to places that I’ve never been before. The links, photos and videos would really help me to choose the best vacation spots in and out of the Philippines. Others were like self-help books! They can help and inspire others. There were also helpful tips that ranged from simple to complicated how to’s . If there’s a collections of books made for DUMMIES, the blogs can be considered as first hand experiences that can help newbies!

So I braved myself to publish my first ever blog. It wasn’t easy. Too many topics running through my mind. Then I remembered that I’m a member of various LGBT groups. It occurred to me that many people, especially teens, are undergoing various phases of their individuality. Main point is to come out in the open or not.

I chose to write a piece that I’ve withstand. Narrated how difficult it was to live a double life. Feared that no one would understand nor my family wouldn’t accept me for who and what I am.

One way or another, I know that those who’ve read my blog have come to realize that it’s ok to be different. That somewhere, someone had encountered the same issues and had overcome the obstacles that kept them imprisoned for a long time. I would want to write more blogs about this topic that would tackle different issues like relationships, rights, discrimination, road to self-discovery and many more.

I would not limit myself to what I can blog about. I’d consider writing anything under the sun! (Food, vacations spots, etc) Blogs that would stir my readers’ interests. I aim to broaden my knowledge on how I can further improve my craft because I would really want to make a career out of blogging!

With the scholarship that I can possibly win from www.MavenSecrets.com , I’m determined to contribute to change the world. I’ve started my campaign to inspire others but I do believe that I still have lots to learn. And I aspire to gain it from the best.

(This entry won 2nd Prize for the AIM scholarship. Thanks to http://www.wheninmanila.com and Anton Diaz )

No comments: